Yuki Ito from YAMAHA Racing Team ASEAN just blasted away from the start and never looked back during the ASB1000 class Race 1 at Sepang International Circuit (SIC). The race started with heavy rain however Ito powered his YZF-R1M which saw him finish with 28’16.971s, 7.6 seconds ahead from Apiwat Wongthananon from YAMAHA Thailand Racing Team who is second place with the time of 28’24.580s.
Apiwat’s teammate Anupab Sarmoon managed to take the final podium spot with the time of 28’39.751s. Pole man, Markus Reiterberger, just couldn’t defend his position with the sudden torrential downpour at SIC and would just have to settle at fourth place on his debut with the time of 28’44.981s. Lorenzo Zanetti took Access Plus Racing-Okada-Team’s Ducati to fifth with 28’49.555s.
Meanwhile, Kawasaki’s Thitipong Warokorn would have to play it safe for Race 1. Thitipong crashed out during the qualifying session, caught off-guard by underground water seeping onto the tarmac at Turn 4. The Kawasaki man managed to finished in ninth ahead of his team mate Ryosuke Iwato.
ASB1000: Top 5 Race 1 Results
- Yuki Ito (JPN) (Yamaha) 28:16.971s
- Apiwat Wongthananon (THA) (Yamaha) 28:24.580s
- Anupab Sarmoon (THA) (Yamaha) 28:39.751s
- Markus Reiterberger (GER) (BMW) 28:44.981s
- Lorenzo Zanetti (ITA) (Ducati) 28:49.555s
- Azlan Shah Kamaruzaman (MAS) (BMW) 29:00.235s
- Farid Badrul (MAS) (Yamaha) 29:16.159s
- Ahmad Daniel Haiqal (MAS) (Yamaha) 29:27.741s
- Thitipong Warokorn (THA) (Kawasaki) 29:32.485s
- Ryosuke Iwato (JPN) (Kawasaki) 29:46.762s
- Broc Parkes (AUS) (Yamaha)
- Timothy Joseph C.Alberto (PHI) (Ducati)