As this year Wonder Woman celebrates her illustrious 80th anniversary, Warner Bros. Global Brands and Experiences and WarnerMedia have unveiled additional plans for a global celebration of the iconic Super Hero.
Comic-Con Character Hall of Fame has confirmed to induct Wonder Woman virtually on Thursday, October 21 to honor the legacy Princess Diana of Themyscira which has appeared since 1941.
Apart from that, DC will continues to honour the iconic female superhero’s 80th anniversary with a stunning lineup of publishing pieces, partnerships, special releases and initiatives. So let’s find out what has installed for Wonder Woman 80th anniversary in details.
WONDER WOMAN’S VIRTUAL INDUCTION INTO THE COMIC-CON MUSEUM CHARACTER HALL OF FAME
- To celebrate the 80th Anniversary of Wonder Woman, the iconic Super Hero is being inducted into the Comic-Con Museum Character Hall of Fame, in acknowledgement of her incredible legacy and influence on pop culture. Fans around the world can tune-in to the Comic-Con Museum YouTube channel on October 21 and celebrate with DC and the Museum in a toast to the character, with comics creators, talent shout-outs, and more fun moments!
WONDER WOMAN IN COMICS
DC is honouring the iconic character’s 80th anniversary with a vibrant collection of commemorative releases, free editions and new series launches all starring DC’s Champion of Truth and Warrior for Peace – with titles to be released in time to celebrate Wonder Woman Day on October 21, and beyond.
● Wonderful Women of the World is an inspiring anthology showcasing 23 trailblazing women around the world. Tales of the real-world heroes who take up Princess Diana of Themyscira’s mantle and work in the fields of science, sports, activism, diplomacy, and more include Beyoncé, Serena Williams, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Greta Thunberg, and Malala Yousafzai, amongst others. The book is available in comic book shops and bookstores today.
● Wonder Woman: 80 Years of the Amazon Warrior follows Wonder Woman from her first appearance through some of her most incredible battles in this hardcover special edition spanning over 400 pages.
● Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular will bring together some of the greatest storytellers in comics and entertainment for a tribute to Wonder Woman in a collectible keepsake. Available on October 5, fans can look forward to original stories and a beautiful art montage by Eisner Award-winning artist Yanick Paquette with colors by Nathan Fairbairn.
● Nubia and the Amazons follows the ongoing adventures of Nubia after the thrilling events of Infinite Frontier. The new series launching on October 19, is written by Vita Ayla and Stephanie Williams with art from all-star artist Alitha Martinez. After Nubia becomes queen of Themyscira, she is faced with new challenges including the unexpected arrival of new Amazons. As this hero is forced to reckon with her past, she must forge a new path forward for her sister.
● Launching on November 16, comes the highly-anticipated Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons. The new series by writer Kelly Sue DeConnick and artist Phil Jiminez will explore the ancient history of the Amazons. Book One will be released November 16 with Jimenez’s artwork. Book Two and Three will be released in Spring and Fall 2022 respectively with artist Gene Ha on Book Two and Nicola Scott on Book Three.
WONDER WOMAN NOW
Fans can watch and read Wonder Woman content on various platforms including:
● A massive catalogue of Wonder Woman film and TV releases including Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman (2009animation), Wonder Woman: Bloodlines, and DC Super Hero Girls are available for streaming now on HBO GO.
● Cartoon Network will celebrate the Princess of the Amazons with a special episode of Teen Titans Go! airing in October. In this special episode titled, “DC,” the Titans head to DC’s headquarters to celebrate Wonder Woman’s 80th birthday party.
WONDER WOMAN IN INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
● In celebration of all Wonder Woman characters, Injustice 2 mobile game will introduce the newest variant – Classic Wonder Woman – in October as an all-new powerful Gold character designed based off of her early comic book appearances. Fans will also be treated to an entire slate of Wonder Woman-themed special events and free rewards.
WONDER WOMAN ON SOCIAL MEDIA
● Bringing the celebration to TikTok starting on October 16, DC and Warner Bros. will launch the #WonderWomanSpinChallenge where fans can ‘spin into their super self!’ Make sure to tune into DC FanDome to find out more!
THE HISTORY OF WONDER WOMAN
● Wonder Woman first appeared in All Star Comics #8 on October 21,1941 in a back-up story meant to test her appeal at a time when female Super Heroes were rare. An instant favorite, Wonder Woman was soon headlining her own standalone title less than a year later. Subsequent generations came to know the Amazonian princess with silver bracelets on her wrists and a magic lasso by her waist via her hit 1970’s television series as well as roles in animated shows and movies. The groundbreaking 2017 film Wonder Woman by director Patty Jenkins and starring Gal Gadot was the largest grossing live action film ever for a female director at the time of release. The sequel, Wonder Woman 1984 premiered on HBOMax and in theaters globally December 25, 2020. Warner Bros. Pictures confirmed the third Wonder Woman movie starring Gadot will also be written by Jenkins.
Fans can delve into the history and enduring influence of the iconic character this October with the “Wonder Woman Authors & Talent Panel” on DC Community.
Also, don’t miss DC FanDome on October 16 (October 17 in East Asia timezones) for more Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary content and commemoration! Check out www.WonderWoman80.com for the latest information on Wonder Woman 80.