If you’re following coverage at CES 2021, you might want to check out Samsung Electronics’ C-Lab projects and C-Lab Outside startups. The Korean electronic brand has confirmed it will unveil four exciting projects in progress from its in-house venture program C-Lab Inside and seventeen startups supported by the C-Lab Outside.
C-Lab Inside, which began in 2012, is an in-house idea incubation program that encourages and nurtures innovative ideas from Samsung employees. As this year will be sixth consecutive year for C-Lab is participating in CES, the projects to be unveiled this year focuses on personalized products and services catering to diverse lifestyles. The four C-Lab Inside projects are:
- EZCal, automated TV picture quality calibration application for cinema-level viewing quality;
- Air Pocket, portable oxygen storage device;
- Scan&Dive, IoT device & solution for fabric classification and optimal care recommendation;
- Food&Sommelier, a service for finding optimal food & wine pairing.
Meanwhile, C-Lab Outside is a startup acceleration program to vitalize the startup ecosystem in South Korea since October 2018. Local startup incubation programs by Daegu Center and Gyeong-buk Center for Creative Economy & Innovation are also run as part of C-Lab Outside. Startups enrolled in the C-Lab Outside programs are provided with office workspace, expert mentoring by Samsung employees, opportunities to participate in global IT exhibitions, investor relations and financial support.
Seventeen startups incubated in the past year will participate in CES 2021. The innovations exhibited by the companies include:
- AI-based personal information anonymization by Deeping Source,
- Real-life avatar creation through 3D scanning and VR/AR content creation solution by Flux Planet,
- Growth management device for children by Magpie Tech,
- Fashion design creation using image AI by Designovel.
C-Lab Outside startups plan to target the global market starting with CES 2021, meeting worldwide investors and buyers for potential new business opportunities.
Three startups spun off from C-Lab Inside recognized as innovation honorees at CES 2021
Samsung Electronics has been supporting high-potential C-Lab Inside projects to spin off as fully fledged startups since 2015. Three startups from C-Lab Inside—Luple, Bluefeel and Pixelro—await global partners and consumers at CES 2021.
CTA (The Consumer Technology Association) has also recognized the efforts from the Samsung startup incubation program and has chosen three startups from C-Lab Inside as innovation honorees of CES 2021 in the area of health and wellness.
The awardees are:
- Luple, which has developed a portable and artificial sunlight device;
- Breathings, a maker of an IoT device that easily manages respiratory health,
- Linkface, which has received the award for two consecutive years now with its neckband device that monitors breath and heart related bio signals.
Samsung Electronics has previously announced in 2018 that it would accelerate 300 Korean startups through C-Lab Outside and 200 projects through C-Lab Inside for the next 5 years.