Alibaba Group has shared highlights of Malaysian brands’ performance and Malaysian consumers’ preferences at this year’s 11.11 Global Shopping Festival.
Highlights of Malaysian brands’ performance this 11.11
Tmall Global has been the platform of choice for many international brands to enter the Chinese market. This 11.11, 235 overseas brands on Tmall Global each surpassed RMB10 million in GMV during the period 1 to 11 November. The number of overseas brands on Tmall Global surpassing RMB1 million in GMV increased 46 percent year-on-year.
Malaysian brands on Tmall Global continue to grow their customer base in China with new consumer trends seen this 11.11.
• Instant coffee, bird’s nest and other nourishing food products, as well as mattresses remain the top three most popular Malaysian product categories exported to China.
• In terms of the top-performing brands, Old Town White Coffee emerged as the most popular Malaysian brand on the back of Chinese consumers’ growing preference for foreign delicacies.
A few local bird’s nest brands such as PT Swift also made it to Top 10.
• Interestingly, Malaysian-made cat treats became one of the most popular product categories for the first time, with the Frisian brand rising as the top pick, fuelled by China’s booming pet economy.
Highlights and fun facts on Malaysian consumers’ preferences from this 11.11
• Many Malaysian consumers took advantage of the new Taobao Direct Shipping feature to enjoy the convenience of being able to simultaneously pay for their purchases and shipping fee in just a few clicks. The top two most popular product categories purchased through the
Direct Shipping feature were apparel and gadgets.
• Technology-related products such as gadgets as well as smart consumer electronics and home appliances were the most popular amongst Malaysian consumers, with brands such as Xiaomi, Ecovacs and Midea being among the top picks.
• Malaysians also loved to snap up deals at the “RMB299 Free Cross-Border Shipping” section, with the most-bought items including hair removal apparatuses, tempered glass phone screen protectors and mini portable projectors.
• More than seven million consumers worldwide including those from Malaysia have made purchases on Taobao Marketplace and Tmall this 11.11.
Other global trivia in line with this year’s emphasis on sustainability and inclusiveness
• GMV of products for left-handed consumers increased 100% year-on-year.
• The top three most popular electronic products among silver consumers were mobile phones, Bluetooth earphones and heaters.
• More than 2.5 million consumers purchased green products this 11.11.
• Cainiao together with merchants and consumers helped reduce 53,000 tonnes of carbon emission through measures such as the employment of e-shipping labels and new packaging sorting algorithms for more than 1.2 billion packages.
• Additionally, since the start of the 11.11 pre-sales on 21 October to 14 November, more than 90 million green packages were sent out from the Cainiao warehouses, saving more than 84 million meters of tapes. These “green packages” involved the use of the original product packages for shipping, recycled packaging materials, tape-free “zipper boxes” and eco-friendly shipping bags.
Credited to Alibaba Group