Alibaba Group Holding Limited has announced its financial results for the quarter ended December 31, 2021.
“Alibaba delivered steady progress this quarter as we continued to execute our multi-engine growth strategy in a complex and volatile market environment. We achieved positive momentum in key strategic businesses through a disciplined focus on capacity building and value creation to fuel our future growth. Our global annual active consumers grew at a solid pace, reaching 1.28 billion on the strength of a quarterly net increase of 43 million,” said Daniel Zhang, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Alibaba Group. “We believe a clear ESG strategy is instrumental to Alibaba’s future, and announced our goal to realize carbon neutrality in our operations by 2030 along with a commitment to an additional 1.5 gigatons of decarbonization in 2035 by working with consumers, customers and partners across our ecosystem.”
“We delivered healthy results this quarter with revenue growth of 10% year-over-year. We have always innovated and invested for the long term throughout Alibaba’s history. As demonstrated by our new segmental disclosure, our continued investments in growth initiatives have seen tangible results,” said Maggie Wu, Chief Financial Officer of Alibaba Group. “With confidence in the company’s prospects today and over the long term, we repurchased approximately 10.1 million of our ADSs for approximately US$1.4 billion this quarter.”
In the quarter ended December 31, 2021:
• Revenue was RMB242,580 million (US$38,066 million), an increase of 10% year-over-year that was primarily driven by the revenue growth of China commerce segment by 7% year-over-year to RMB172,226 million (US$27,026 million), Cloud segment by 20% year-over-year to RMB19,539 million (US$3,066 million), Local consumer services segment by 27% year-over-year to RMB12,141 million (US$1,905 million) and International commerce segment by 18% year-over-year to RMB16,449 million (US$2,581 million).
• Annual active consumers of the Alibaba Ecosystem across the world reached approximately 1.28 billion for the twelve months ended December 31, 2021, an increase of approximately 43 million from the twelve months ended September 30, 2021. This includes 979 million consumers in China and 301 million consumers overseas, representing a quarterly net increase of over 26 million and 16 million, respectively.
• Income from operations was RMB7,068 million (US$1,109 million), a decrease of 86% year-over- year, which included a RMB25,141 million (US$3,945 million) impairment of goodwill in relation to Digital media and entertainment segment. Excluding this impairment of goodwill, income from operations would have been RMB32,209 million (US$5,054 million), a decrease of 34% year-over-year. The year-over-year decrease was primarily due to our increased investments in growth initiatives and our increased spending for user growth, as well as our support to merchants. We excluded impairment of goodwill discussed above from our non-GAAP measurements. Adjusted EBITA, a non-GAAP measurement, decreased 27% year-over-year to RMB44,822 million (US$7,034 million).
• Net income attributable to ordinary shareholders was RMB20,429 million (US$3,206 million) and net income was RMB19,224 million (US$3,017 million), showing year-over-year decreases of 74% and 75%, respectively, primarily due to the impairment of goodwill of RMB25,141 million (US$3,945 million) and the decrease in net gains arising from the changes in fair value of our equity investments, both of which we excluded from our non-GAAP measures. Non-GAAP net income was RMB44,624 million (US$7,002 million), a decrease of 25% year-over-year.
• Diluted earnings per ADS was RMB7.51 (US$1.18) and diluted earnings per share was RMB0.94 (US$0.15 or HK$1.15). Non-GAAP diluted earnings per ADS was RMB16.87 (US$2.65), a decrease of 23% year-over-year and non-GAAP diluted earnings per share was RMB2.11 (US$0.33 or HK$2.58), a decrease of 23% year-over-year.
• Net cash provided by operating activities was RMB80,366 million (US$12,611 million). Non-GAAP free cash flow was RMB71,022 million (US$11,145 million), a decrease of 26% year-over-year compared to RMB96,210 million in the same quarter of 2020, mainly due to a decrease in profit as a result of our increased investments in growth initiatives and our increased spending for user growth, as well as our support to merchants.
Reconciliations of GAAP measures to non-GAAP measures presented above are included at the end of this results announcement.
Alibaba Group’s management team held a conference call to discuss the financial results at 7:30 a.m. U.S. Eastern Time (8:30 p.m. Hong Kong Time) on February 24, 2022. A live webcast of the earnings conference call can be accessed here.